Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Long time, no blog

As stated above, I haven't blogged here for quite a while and probably wouldn't be if not for a class I am taking. :)

It's summertime again and we had an above ground pool put in our backyard. Pure bliss for my 52 year old body particularly after another year of working with my much loved but getting bigger by the day students. We still have the landscaping to do around the pool, but it will be well worth it when it's done.

I just finished a weekend of respite for one of my students. Another opportunity to look at life from another perspective and another opportunity to gain more respect for the parents who do this 24/7. I enjoyed myself, but was exhausted having to always be "one".

In two weeks time I will be leaving for 2 weeks in Florida. I chose Florida this year because I wanted to attend the biennial Angelman Syndrome Conference in Orlando. There looks like there will be some wonderful speakers and I will get to meet and remeet some of the parents I am familiar with on the Angelman Syndrome Listserve. Of all of the listserves I have ever been on they are some of the most active and knowledgeable parents I have ever "met". I look forward to the social aspect as well. We are renting a house near Orlando so that my husband can enjoy some alone time while I go to the conference :)

If you are interested in meeting a really charismatic and knowledgeable person in the field of disabilities and advocacy, check out the blog "Rolling Around in My Head" by Dave Hingsberger. You will be happy you did. I had the honor of attending one of his talks at a TASH conference many years ago and never forgot the impact he made on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and comment, please?