Monday, July 8, 2013

Gritting My Teeth

I am psyching myself up for the new school year.  I have lost most of my students to the big pond of elementary school and have only two 3 year olds left in my class to start with.  I am pretty sure, though, that my class will fill up pretty quickly.  I can have up to 7 preschoolers with 2 full time para professionals.

Last year I got a new "room mate".  Let's just say it became quite an acrimonious relationship.  My room mate does not really like sharing her room and I was told quite plainly that a typical early childhood special education class (hers) should not have to share with an early childhood special education class for students with multiple disabilities.  Sigh :(..  Granted we do need a lot more space for our class since we have more equipment and children with mobility and sensory issues.  However, some of the concessions I need are in order to make my students safe and give them the opportunity to meet their goals.

By the end of the year, I was so tired of the whole thing :( and my assumption is that I will be back in the same situation next year.  This year, though, I will be asking for more.  I need space for common core vocabulary to be put up where my students always have visual access to it.  This is a new concept for my classroom, but something I am really buying into.  At the end of the year I tried using "common core mats" (just pieces of heavily laminated paper with the words, "more", "my turn", "help" and "done"on them), and saw dramatic results in just 3 weeks with a few of my students.  I want to go bigger and bolder right from the get go this year. 

I don't expect this to go down well.  Wish me luck :).

2 comments:

  1. It would have been good for the children, they would have learned there are different types of people in this world. I am sorry but a typical early childhood special education class (hers) should not have to share with an early childhood special education class for students with multiple disabilities is not a good enough reason.

    In fact, her lame excuse reflects her personality, difficult and small minded. You should not have to work with a woman such as her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her excuse that a typical early childhood special education class (hers) should not have to share with an early childhood special education class for students with multiple disabilities is rubbish. By the way, Mama Lewis has a new website, here's the link http://www.mamalewis.com/

    ReplyDelete

Show some love and comment, please?